Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 | Uncategorized
Saint Malachy Parish has a proud history. It was founded by Irish immigrants and the Sisters of Mercy in 1850. Originally, the Parish was called “the Church in the woods” as it was outside of Philadelphia’s city limits. In the early 20th century, the neighborhood became a magnet for for manufacturing companies, and the Parish was considered “wealthy.” Once these factories declined, the surrounding neighborhood also was affected. Today, Saint Malachy continues to welcome all people from the surrounding community as well as the suburbs. We are no longer the little Church in the woods - but we are considered a “beacon of hope” in North Philadelphia. Read more here. Better yet, please come visit.